Thursday, March 27, 2008

Electric String Trimmer Review - Black and Decker

Taking care of grass is so hard. I've had a yard for five years and I've poured blood, sweat, and tears into it. What do I have to show for it? Patchy grass with a healthy crop of Dallis grass, lots of sunflower sprouts, a rotten fence (should've directed the water away from the fence), and in general, a headache.
My first string trimmer broke, it was an electric Homelite. So then a couple weeks ago I got a good deal on a Black and Decker ST7000 from Amazon for $25 - delivered. It has AFS (automatic feed system). I was putting it together and thought, wow, it would be amazing if this worked. The pawl (they call it a lever, but they're wrong) supposedly pivots to allow the gear on the string reel to advance one tooth when the centrifugal force from the string lightens to the point the pawl pivots.
Well, I never got it to work. I guess the centrifugal force was just too much to overcome. Other than that, it would have been a great trimmer/edger for $25. I just can't imagine AFS working. I'd have to see it to believe it. I tried calling Black and Decker customer service. They were helpful, but idiots. She said it was supposed to have a white lever on it. That was for a completely different model! I found the documentation she was using later on their website.

So, I just had to return the thing to Amazon. Luckily, it didn't cost me anything. Thank you Amazon.
But now what? Its pretty common around here to just kill all the grass, mow it to the quick, then replant.

Here you go, buy yourself some of these instead. 

No comments:

google search

click on this video for relevant video on my blog