Friday, June 8, 2012

Is your screen too bright? How to fix a too bright LCD monitor windows 7

I have an Acer Aspire One AO722, and the screen is too bright for me in a dark room.  I found a way to fix that.  You go to control Panel, then Color management.  Click the Advanced Tab, and then hit Calibrate display.  When you go through the calibration, you will probably find that the gamma is set too high.  Lower it almost to the very bottom, just follow the onscreen instruuctions.  Also, when it gets to the color adjustments, slide all three color bars to the middle.  For some reason those too are set all the way to the right.  My guess is that the software designers were trying to overcompensate for something.  Maybe this was a legacy problem, and now they need to start using different default settings.  Anyway, at the end you can compare the before and after, and you'll notice that your screen is now about 20 percent darker, without any color, sharpness, or contrast losses. 

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this information! It helped my father fix his new monitor!

Anonymous said...

Thanx for this tip it was hurting my eyes

Anonymous said...

Thank you sooooooooooo much! I've been trying to fix the "whites" on my monitor FOR YEARS, because they were too bright, and this is the only tutorial that helped! I absolutely love you for this! :D

Anonymous said...

May God bless you, for providing a solution that worked, in non technical language.

I am still on Windows XP, but with a few judicious steps, I followed your path and solved my problem.

Grateful Golden Surfer

Unknown said...

Thank you! Your solution worked beautifully, and I didn't need a computer science degree to understand and implement it!

DaVince said...

Meh, I don't have this option on Linux. Was hoping you had an ICC file I could just load.

Unknown said...

finally! thanks :D

Unknown said...

Most monitors advertise themselves through a lot of technical jargon but for your day to day activities, you should be primarily concerned with the resolution of TFT LCD TV and monitors that can make all the difference after you sit down in the couch.
High Bright LCD Displays 
Thanks for sharing...!!!

Anonymous said...

thanks a million paul, i did the gamma thing by setting it to the lowest but didn't notice that reducing the colours (green, red and blue) helped too - until i saw your post. it was a lifesaver.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, that helped.
Also for the color settings, I tried Calibrate color first but what helped even more was the advanced tab under Color - could set saturation to exactly how much I needed. And then set brightness, contrast, gamma to -10, 40 and 0.5 which was perfect for me.

Anonymous said...

Thanks.

Unknown said...

wow! saved my life :) thanks

Unknown said...

THANK YOU!!!!

Anonymous said...

yay thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU, Paul Ulrich!

Unknown said...

Cheers mate,it was giving me headaches and watering eyes,al cured now,,,

Unknown said...

Thank you so much. I was ready to return this monitor because it was giving me a headache. Again, thanks.

Twila K. said...

Finding your post was truly a godsend. My eyes and I thank you!

google search

click on this video for relevant video on my blog